Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It is about the Reply

Today's post will give you nothing creative, but hopefully it will leave you with something to think about.





Two days before my breast cancer diagnosis, I had a completed a interior decorating course. It was a secret that I did not share with many. My youngest was due to graduate and head off to college-the empty nest would soon become a reality. It was my turn to dream after all the years of being home caring for my family. I had time to choose my path -so I did. I was on a high from the accomplishment, when I was flattened by the news that this time the biopsy was cancer.





This year has been a long one. Starting again and waiting for the other shoe to drop is scary. I have great faith, but it has failed me at times. I am human. The fear of moving forward is harder than you realize. Picking yourself up and moving on is a slow process - you wait for the other shoe to drop. My husband a baseball fan, says "It is all how you handle the curve ball." He is right and I have been listening to it for years, but I lost the meaning somehow.





It was when another breast cancer patient on her blog the Scared Ordinary, said it this way (paraphrased) Life will continue to hand us lesson after lesson, what really mattered was not what happened to us, but our REPLY. She was right. I soldered two pieces of glass with the word REPLY in it as a daily reminder. It hangs in my car.


Inspired by her wise words I head out each morning to make my reply.

I will be in classes the next couple of days.

In my husband's words, it is time to start handling the curve ball.

Batter up!

8 comments:

  1. You made me cry this morning. That was my reply. You are one special lady. You make it awful hard to hate my cancer when if I had never been diagnosed, I never would have met you. Can I still hate my cancer, and yet embrace all the angels and blessings that arrived when it did? You are surely one of them. I love you Girl, and feel so blessed and happy that my reply touched you and inspired you so. I was feeling really down this morning, and decided to check your blog, knowing I would find something beautiful. Little did I know. Now you have given it right back to me, reminding me to commit to my own words. Whoa. Many many thanks. from one of your biggest fans, wgd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words Debra, and very inspiring. Thank you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, moving on is hard. And it's a slow process. But you seem to have made a remarkably good start and I believe you are going to do very well.
    Love the "reply" reminder.
    Wishing you all the best,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debra,

    What a beautiful and inspiring post today. I love the reply reminder that you look at in your car every day.
    Wishing you all the best with your classes, have fun.

    Have a wonderful weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Debra,
    Thank you for this post and for leading me to Sacred Ordinary.
    Your words you share are honest and I learn and grow from them.

    Yes to having the right REPLY! Adore the car reminder that you created.

    I give thanks that you are doing well~
    That we have met.
    Now it's time to dive back into your interior design. The world will be a more beautiful place!

    Love,
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Debra, for sharing these insights into your world. I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling but I have the utmost admiration for your capacity to share with others. Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving Debra!
    TO you and your family~
    So thankful you are doing well!!!
    Love,
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Debra,
    I'll call you this week.
    Sending happy thoughts.
    Love,
    Constance

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin