Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cardboard boat Races

Hi Everyone,

Again it has been a while. I have not posted knowing you are looking for something creative and probably sick to death with the breast cancer saga that continues here or maybe it is just me who is sick to death with dealing with it. I am doing really well though. The second opinion came back and no chemo will be needed -surgery will be enough. What a blessing. The tissue expanders are fully expanded and in a couple of days the next round of surgery. I tease I feel like I could survive the Titanic due to the tissue expanders being in. They currently feel like a floatation device is strapped to my chest and it extends under my arms. But all in all I am grateful they can do anything to make me feel and look more normal.


My dear friend Constance at Rochambeau called the other day and checked on me. What a sweetie. This comes across in her blog and I am grateful for her friendship. Here is the beautiful boat she made - it is incredible.


Constance asked what I have been up since I have not blogged. Creating is harder with the restrictions on my arms. Working in front is a challenge with the expanders - I bump them when I reach in front of me. I explained I have not done much but have enjoyed some fun adventures this Summer. She said I should share them. Just a week ago, my youngest daughter and my husband created a recycled "boat" for the cardboard boat races on the Hudson. Theirs was not made of cardboard, but in the recycled division. Each division has limitations of what you can do. No prior floatation devices or boat parts is allowed. The cardboard division you can use duck tape, but not wax etc to seal. Restriction such as that for each.






Cardboard division.













This was a cute one. It just spun round and round
but was beautiful to look at.














This Kayak design was the winner.




Recycled division -our crew have the yellow hats. And we have an enthusiastic thumbs up!












They named their boat the U.S.S. Economy with the logo "Pray it stays a float" They made hats and t-shirts and won a prize for the most enthusiastic crew.






The boat was created with recycled 2 liter soda bottles that they collected. Old snow sleds, Frisbees and pizza pan rudders.









They didn't win the race , but did stay afloat, which others were not so lucky. It was a blast and we had so much fun.



Hope you all have been having adventures of your own this Summer.

8 comments:

  1. Cardboard boats? I've never heard of that before! Sounds like a real challenge, but looks like it was fun!
    Glad to hear you are feeling a little better. Keep your chin up! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a GREAT post! The USS Economy!! Very funny Debra!
    Look at all the smiles in the crowd! The winning kayak # 42 is hilarious! Thank you for sharing. Glad YOUR flotation devises will soon be no longer, really I am. You are a strong and brave person.
    Praying for you friend~

    Love,
    Constance

    Thank you for sending people to see the pea green boat and your kind words too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always amazes me that you can create cardboard boats, and they actually float!

    It looks like everyone had a wonderful time, great summertime fun!

    I love your boat's name, the U.S.S. Economy! I am sure that most appreciated it!

    I am so glad that you are doing well, you are in my thoughts and prayers!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you are doing much better. Sounds like you are having a great time and of all things with cardboard boats. LOL I'm sure you will soon be back to making all your wonderful creative projects. Connie204

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great time! It's amazing what you can achieve with a bit of duct tape!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debra,

    So glad to hear that you are doing well ~ you have been much in my thoughts and prayers.
    What a fun day out in the summer sun, enjoying the water and the boats all look so neat.
    I hope that it won't be long before you are back creating again.

    Have a beautiful weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debra! I’m so glad to see you posting and having fun with your family. Also, I am thrilled at your wonderful progress and prognosis. Should have written you personally, but I did send out cyber hugs to you in a post earlier this month. http://cathyscrazybydesign.blogspot.com/2010/08/last-2-african-blocks-and.html

    Can’t keep a good woman down! Love you, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Debra,
    How was your trip? How are you feeling AND how is your house???
    xox
    C

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin