Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Mean while back at the....


I will be relinquishing my Wonder Woman title for a while and dealing with the tangles cancer has brought to our lives.



I am off to surgery today surrounded by my loving family and friends. My dear sweet husband plans to stay with me tonight if the hospital will allow it. My oldest daughter will sit with him and keep him company during the surgery. Her mother-in-law and our good friend will stop in to drop lunch off to them. My other two children still have work and school. Not easy for them when they have to wait and wonder. With all the calls from family and friends I certainly know I am loved. This week has been the "emotional break down week" for me. I just had no control over the tears. I am a positive person. I look forward to being beyond this and starting recovery, but I hate the time cancer has robbed from us already. The months of reconstruction ahead casts a shadow across our youngest daughter's graduation from high school and taking her to college. I can not image those who have greater stages of cancer or years of treatments. My heart goes out to them and their families. After exhaustive research we know the surgical route is my best option. Do I like it? No-I frankly hated all the options! I was not given the option of-no decision is required here - we had to choose one. In the end it came down to this for me- I am blessed-I had a choice. So many women did not ever have the chance to choose.













On a more positive note -4 mastectomy recovery pillows made it out of my sewing room. The blue ones are for me and the two pink are already in the mail headed for a cancer resource center at a Rhode Island hospital. A request from another cancer patient. In the future I will share my pattern and directions. This was not my original idea, but I thought it is a good one. I was unable to find a pattern for these, so I created one. I have also heard of other people making rectangles for women as well. The heart helps support the arms after mastectomy and cushions the area lymph nodes have been removed. They also work great for reconstruction and keeping the seat belts of a car away from the sensitive area. Thinking of this future project helped me look beyond my tears to help someone else. It was only 2 pillows for now, but it is a positive step for recovery.I hope to work with volunteers in the future to create many more pillows for hospitals and cancer resource centers.
A humble gift made with our hands and given with our hearts.


Surgery brings some restrictions - I will need this next week to rebound a little before I can type again.



Please take care.


Debra

18 comments:

  1. The prayers of many go with you into this phase of your life. Remember that HE is still the God of miracles! --- "Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pillows are a wonderful idea and I know that they will bring comfort. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Connie204

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope everything goes better than planned. What a wonderful idea behind the pillows!

    Know that we are all thinking of you!

    -Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish with all my heart that everything goes well. Knowing that your family is close by must help so much. And be proud of your tears, it's a good sign.

    Hugs, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many prayers are surrounding you Debra! I'm so sorry for all you have had to go thought, but now it's over with. And Thank you for sharing your experience here because all the things you speak about we all can relate to and or learn from. Your honesty, courage and giving heart is a great example to fight ALL disease!
    I feel that you are starting your healing process now.
    Love,
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know that with the support you have from family and friends, and your positive attitude, you will do well.

    The pillows look wonderful, and I know that the ones that you have made will be so appreciated.

    God Bless!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes, let the tears flow. You relinquished your Wonder Woman title remember? The support of your family and friends is so important - those positive thoughts, prayers and vibes can only be good for you. The little pillows are beautiful and so useful. How generous that you are thinking of others. You are such a good soul Debra.
    Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Debra, you are in my prayers! Take care and just bask in the love and support of your family and friends. If positive wishes do indeed make a difference, I can tell you that you'll be just fine! :-) And your mastectomy pillows are marvelous. I'd like to do some of these for our local Huntsman Cancer Institute - to pay it forward as you are already so generously doing. Ann is right; you are such a good soul, and I'm proud to know and love you. Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Debra,

    You and your family, are very much in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that everything will go well for you.
    Lovely to have the care and support from your family.
    What a kind and caring Lady you are making the pillows for others.
    Sending positive vibes for a speedy recovery.

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Friend,
    I've been thinking of you!!
    Just wanted you to know, I will be out of town until Monday so will give you a call when I get back for some "coffee~talk" ;-)

    Thinking great thoughts ~
    Glad it's over with!!
    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Debra,
    Been thinking of you.
    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  12. just thinking of you
    everyday
    when
    i water my somepink~DEBRA~flowers...


    :-)

    {{ i so love
    this positive spirit
    that you spread around you.
    may it come back 10 fold
    to easy your way }}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hang in there wonder woman! You are in my prayers for a speedy recovery. *HUGS* Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi friend,
    I'm Finally making your CD!!
    Hope today has been a good one!!
    xox
    C

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi friend.
    Thinking you you~~~~~~~~~
    Will you call when you get back from the city?
    xox
    C

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Debra,

    Have been thinking of you so much and just sending my love and some wishes for a speedy recovery.
    My prayers are with you.

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi friend,
    Popping by to say howdy~
    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debra, I just now read your comment on QF. I don't know how I missed it until now, but I'm praying for the best for you and your family. Sending my love,
    Sheryl W.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin