Monday, April 5, 2010

A time on my soapbox

I know that I have been sending out really deep thoughts of
late and you have graciously allowed me to do so. I promise not to stand on my soapbox for long or to make a habit of it, but I felt this is important. The world here on our little corner of the planet has changed just a little. We have been struggling with some medical issues with several family members, moving my husband's 89 year old aunt twice in 6 weeks to assisted living, and trying to keep up with my youngest daughter's senior year. No small accomplishment I assure you. In the middle of it all, my yearly mammogram in February came back abnormal. Many of you who know me will remember a scare when I discovered a lump and had it removed. The pathology came back benign. This time I was called back and had the diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. The radiologist came in after the ultrasound and explained I needed to see my surgeon again. There was no lump - only calcifications he thought were suspicious. Although seeing the radiologist, something that had never happened before, I figured it was just another benign fibrocystic change. I headed off to see the surgeon and stereotactic biopsy was scheduled two weeks later. After an hour in the biopsy room, it was determined that the calcifications were too close to the chest wall and surgerical biopsy was my only option. It took place last Wednesday almost two years to the day of my last surgery. The outcome this time was different. I have an early stage of breast cancer. It is still hard to even say it only because it seems so foreign. This blog is a very public forum to share a personal crisis. My reason for doing so you wonder? To spread the word about yearly mammograms and breast exams. I have read how many women hate to get their yearly exams done.
I know - I hate it too!
(Believe me - I have had more than my share of mammograms in the last month and a half to put myself on top of that list of women)
I have cancer, but I am fortunate. Yes very fortunate!
It has been detected at a very early stage by mammography.
There was no lump, no way for my doctor or for me to
determine there was anything to be concerned about.
Our family has had so much going on this year,
I could have easily skipped or delayed my mammogram .
I am glad I didn't.
I urge all of you who find an excuse to delay, cancel, or ignore your yearly mammogram to take action -
for yourself and those you love.





I will be taking this week off to spend sometime with my family during this school break. It will be a time to relax, prepare, and hopefully I will finally have time to create.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Deb, OMG!! Thank goodness you had the presence of mind to follow through on your regular mammogram! You are lucky, but my heart still goes out to you because it is jarring to say the "c" word when speaking of yourself. Know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Of course you will have a successful outcome, but there are a few hills to climb first. Please keep us posted as you can, and revel in your family through this. Love you, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Deb, Your very courageous. I'm so glad that you caught this in time. I know it's been a difficult year for you. I'm sure that you will be fine and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I also urge everyone to get a mammogram. I had a very special friend that missed hers by 4 months and ended up with a mastectomy. Luckily she is fine now. Good Luck and lots of hugs. Connie204

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear the disturbing news, but you are no doubt a fighter, and I've heard that is very helpful in winning the battle. Keep a positive attitude, and stay busy as you feel like it. Miracles do still happen, and it seems you are about due for one. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Debra, but I still admire your courage and faith. So many women ignore the need for regular checks. I'm glad I can say that I get a breast check each time the doctor does my smear test.

    Happy thoughts and big hugs coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Debra, you have certainly had your fair share of trials. I welcome your reminder to look after our health - as women and mothers we often neglect it as we are *too busy*. You are a wonderful example of what to do. Keep telling everyone you know. Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my you've had a lot on your plate. I'm glad that things are at an early stage and you'll be in my prayers that things are smooth sailing from here. HUGS! Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Debra, I am so sorry to hear about your breast cancer, and I also admire you so much for sharing your experience to let each of us know how important it is to take care of ourselves.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers and I know that everything will be fine.

    God Bless!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin