Saturday, January 2, 2010

Final steps of the glass ornament

January 2 nd and my resolutions are holding. Okay it is only day two, but hey I finally have my oar back in the water and heading I'm heading in the right direction.


Finally I have the pictures of the steps to finish the glass ornament.
Gather all your tools together. Soldering iron, flux, LEAD FREE solder, safety glasses, and a pair of pliers.


Here are the steps you will use:

Using a brush run the flux over the copper foil to help the solder flow smoothly.




After brushing on the flux run a bead of LEAD FREE solder across the copper foil.










One tip when working on a small piece - Hold it with pliers. The glass can heat up very quickly.





The soldering is done. Just make sure to clean them well to remove the flux. Any brown spots will disappear when cleaned.






You have an option to leave the solder as is or use a patina. This one is antiqued with Black.







The ornament is done with an antique finish. The Process works great for earrings too.I like the silver better, but I wanted to share this process. If you are going to keep the silver, make sure you buff and seal the solder so it does not tarnish.



Until next time

9 comments:

  1. They are so delicate and intricate looking, Debra. The earrings are especially interesting. This has been such an interesting project.
    Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Debra,
    I really am going to try your technique!! Thank you for sharing!!! I feel so grateful that we have met because of the internet. YOU have brought much inspiration to me and joy to my mother!!

    HAPPY New Year~
    May this be your best year yet!

    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debra! Just wanted to let you know I finally made the move over to "a real" blog. They're shutting us down over at APQ. I've been following your blog for a while and now I'll be able to comment. I love all your beautiful work!! :) Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how those turned out! When things get more settled around here, I'll have to try the technique on a charm for a necklace.

    Thanks for sharing, and the inspiration!
    Take care, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi There Debra,
    Hope your new year is going well so far!!
    I just found out about this event in April.
    Have you heard?
    http://wherewomencreate.typepad.com/blog/2010/01/petticoats-and-parasols.html

    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debra,
    Thank you for your kind comment.
    How is your new year coming?
    Are you having any sunshine yet?

    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Friend,
    Thank you for your kind comment.
    Still praying for your boys!
    Hope ALL is well!!!!!!!!!!
    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Debra,
    Thinking of you and yours!
    Hope ALL is well for you.
    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin