Friday, December 11, 2009

Monogram a glass ornament






-Life is what happens while you are making other plans-John Lennon


I am sorry to say it has been a while. Life just caught up with me and I feel I don't even have enough hours in a day to care for everyone. Caring for my husband, snow dropping down, Christmas on the way, and just everyday life collapsed in on me at once. I missed blogging and visiting the blogs I enjoy so much.
I had promised to show you how easy it was to make a glass monogrammed ornament.It would be beautiful as jewelry too. I had to short cut the idea of jewelry when life slapped me upside the head. It was scaled back to an ornament, but with gorgeous beads, it would make a wonderful necklace.

It is so easy to create.



Step one:


Alcohol based inks, just stamped on to a piece of memory glass.


I used the colors: Ginger, Latte, Metallic Gold, and Blending solution to tone it down.





















Stamp the Ginger and Latte directly on the glass. Stamp the metallic gold and the blending solution over the top to "antique" it.


























Step two:


Using black Stazon Ink, rubber stamped a multiple image on top of the alcohol based ink. The rubber stamp does not have a company on it so I can not tell you which image I used, but anything similar would work. Since it has multiple images and we are working with glass it is easy to get a perfect image. Lay the inked rubber stamp on the work surfaced, positioned the glass with the inked base face down and walked my fingers across the surface to ink the image on the glass.































Step three:




Next choose a monogram stamp. The one used has been made with a clear block stamp. Stamp again using the Stazon ink to adhere to the glass.


















In the next post - finish foiling, soldering, and beading .





Tomorrow I will be off to help pack gifts for our men and women overseas in the military. I hope each of you will give them your prayers and consider a gift for them while they are so far away from home.



Take care,


Debra




5 comments:

  1. Debra, the ornament looks wonderful! I hope that things calm down for you and you get a chance to take a breath.

    I know some families that are fortunate enough to have family coming home from overseas this year for Christmas. God bless all of them and what they are doing for us!

    Take care, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debra,
    This is really interesting to learn. Thank you so much for sharing.

    I'm so sorry that life feels the way it does.
    Will be thinking of you and your mom too!!
    xox
    Constance

    Will you email me your mailing address, please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely little ornament. You're right, jewellery of this type would be wonderful. If only there were lots more hours in the day - and we didn't need so much sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debra,
    Dropping by to thank you for the gift of your friendship. For going out of your way to brighten my mothers life.
    You are a kind friend!

    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh Debra, you cretainly have your hands full. I hope things settle down for you soon. In the meantime, you have made such a beautiful ornament. I've never heard of memory glass before. Cheers, Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin