Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Time to Myself

-I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than to be crowded on a velvet cushion. -Henry David Thoreau


Do you ever have those days when you just need a little time to yourself? To catch up and work on something just for you. So often, I think because I am a wife and mother, I find I put myself on the end of the To do List. I think this is normal, we nurture everyone but ourselves. With the unpredictable weather, I found a few minutes to work in my studio. Finally getting to little projects I placed on the back burner and unpacking things I love to be surrounded by. Last Fall, my oldest had just gotten married and moved to her new home. I thought I would have the Winter to settle in her old room that overlooked the garden. I love the light in this room and the view is inspiring. Well, the notion of a gradual move changed when the reporter from the magazine wanted to shoot pictures in my little studio. It was a mad dash to try and get in some sort of order in just a few days. I had only painted the walls. Moving was more stuff and hide -unexpected company is coming . The photographer asked if I had some black fabric for a background. My answer was.....Ummmm..... (Thinking to myself -If you only knew how much fabric I have, but darn where did I put it) You have to laugh. I know you have been there.


Ann, you commented you wanted to see what I have been working on. Not much really, but it has been fun for me. Hope you will not be sorry you asked. Here are some of the projects. I promise on Friday I will post a tutorial on customizing a journal or sketch book.
Here's a preview:



First my little studio is getting some French touches. I am just starting, but enjoying the process. The hanging lamp received old chandelier crystals, black grosgrain ribbon , and black and white checked bows. A little over the top, but for the queen of embellishment...not too much.






Of course a fancy little stool to work on. It was easy to move from the cutting table to the sewing machines, but not too pretty. I quilted the top and added bullion fringe creating a cover.
A little tuffet.

.



Sewing curtains. And check out my newest stained glass piece on the window sill. It is a gift for a family member, so I can't show a close up. But I am still enjoying the class each Wednesday.





















Unpacked some favorite things. My husband's great -grandmother's ivory and silver sewing kit from the 1800's. Each section of ivory was cut specifically to each of the pieces. If they are lost, no other silver piece will fit. I love the thought that she held them and used them.

Now I treasure them.






















Pictures of the Royal Family.














The room is not done, but it has a great start!

Take care,

Debra

4 comments:

  1. What an adorable room. I love the things you've shown us, the embroidery, the peek at the stained glass and your DH great grandmother's ivory kit. Such treasures.
    Cal x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Debra, how could I be disappointed with such a delightful piece! The small pearls add such a gorgeous touch. Your sewing room is fit for a queen (love your *crown*). Your work room is wonderfully chic - how you will enjoy your time there creating projects. The stain glass piece is a tease and I can't wait to see the close ups. As for your great-grandmother's sewing kit what can I say? Gasp! It's simply exquisite and just like you see on Antiques Roadshow. I would be happy to just own such a kit but to have a relative's is extraodinary. To me they always look far too *good* to use. What a delightful post. I have enjoyed it immensely. Thank you.

    Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sewing room...I'm waiting for the day when my sewing machine can retire from the kitchen table to a cozy sewing room!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely room Debra. It certainly mirrors you! And what a lovely heirloom piece to have, the ivory and silver sewing kit! It is absolutely beautiful!

    It's so nice to be able to have some time for you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin