Thursday, July 16, 2009

Life in the Garden.



-Every great and commanding moment in the annals of the world is the triumph of some enthusiasm.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



We have been concentrating on the work in the garden. Our 5th Summer .


Here are a series of pictures. The later pictures of the garden are from an upstairs window. These pictures are before some the projects I will be sharing in the next few blogs.


Our entire lot is 1/2 an acre. The back yard is about 100 X 100.
When designing our yard, I looked for inspiration. I fell in love with the book "The Laskett "by Roy Strong. It is a story of his garden and his life with his wife Julia.







It is one of the smallest, but most gorgeous formal gardens in the UK. Created on a budget, over a period of time, by the husband and wife, and it has attracted many people including the Prince of Wales. It is based on a Renaissance Gardens. There is always a view in the distance in that style of garden. A view through an arch for example, drawing you forward to explore.



My Husband and I also love the gardens of Charleston and Savannah. The walled private spaces that you get only a small glimpse of. Intriguing and peaceful. It is what we wanted but on a very small scale for our yard. Certainly a challenge given our budget and growing season in the North East.


We decided to divide the yard into walkways and smaller areas. The feel when you are on the ground is actually of more space. Not what you would think of when offset with a wide open space. What we learned was the view unfolds. You don't view the garden as one big open rectangle. With more than one view the garden has more interest, more to offer lets say. It took a while for me to get this concept. I will let the pictures explain it:





Before the walkways are completed , views of you will see along the way.




















































The actual size of the yard viewed from above







































:

Viewed from above the garden is only one view, you take it in only once. Viewed from many little areas, it seems larger, because it has intrigue and interest. The feel is completely different.

In the next few posts. I will share some of the projects in our 5th season. The pea gravel is done...all 96 bags of them. Glad to have that one checked off. Next on he list is simple topiary.

Thanks for joining me in the garden.

Debra

9 comments:

  1. So lovely to take a stroll round your garden with you. And I love the picture in an earlier post of the archway and fountain. I can hear the birds singing from here.

    Cal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is breathtaking Debra! Please tell your husband I said so too! You and he are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your photos!

    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have crafted such a beautiful garden in the available space. From above and on the ground it tempts the eye. I applaud your creation of the illusion of a much bigger garden using arches and paths and screening plants. I'm sure as you stroll about you are transported to another time and place. Thank you for your kind thoughts too. I am improving daily. A turn about your grounds has revived me. Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your garden is just breathtaking. Yes it is!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you enjoyed Scotland. I had never heard of the Laskett garden until I read it here. The book and a visit are on my wish list now!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely garden, I can see how much thought and planning has gone into it! I like how you have the smaller, arched areas that open into another space. I see how it gives the illusion of more area. It also creates cozy areas of privacy. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your yard and garden is soooo amazing!
    I showed my husband one of your earlier pictures and told him, "I want THAT." LOL

    You have your own little private paradise.
    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful garden! A lot of hard work, but what a tremendous result. I can't wait to see the next installments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Debra,
    Stopping by to say hi. And to let you know I will be out of town for a few days without my computer.
    Will see you when we get back.
    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin