Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day


My Mother is a genealogist. She founded a like minded group over a decade ago. The members are all very dedicated to researching their family histories. They had numerous displays recently showcasing the changes in history over the last 100 years. Mom requested that I display the needlework of our family and my husband's which we have inherited. It was interesting in they way each woman created their own type of needlework. The changes over the last 100 years are visible in the materials used and the type of work. Some chose embroidery, others quilts or crochet. She thought it would make a great blog piece and I may share it will all of you someday.


Working on the displays with the various types of needlework, I realized my Mom was not in the direct line of needle working women in our family. I began to wonder how I came by the passion and creativity of embroidery. I am self taught. The women who embroidered in our family were living in the late 1800's to early 1900's. I realized I did not receive my love of needlework from my Mom, (although I do remember her rushing home on her lunch hour to sew a felt skirt for an elf costume I needed). What I did inherit was her fearless spirit when it comes to creating. So often people are not lacking for talent, they lack the confidence to try some new artistic endeavor. I was given the gift of inspiration not with a needle and thread, but from the her creative spirit.
I found like my Mom, I am not afraid to pick up a paint brush, a power tool, etc. and jump right in. It is a wonderful gift to be given.


So for all the fun birthday cakes, elf outfits, award winning Halloween costumes, creative spirit, and so much more, I wanted to say THANKS MOM and HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!





Happy Mother's Day to everyone. Hope your day is filled with love and family.





Until next time...

8 comments:

  1. Happy Mothers Day to you Debra! Your Mum looks and sounds like a beautiful woman, I reckon she passed a fair bit of that on to you.

    Enjoy your day. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Debra,
    Your mother sounds like an inspiration. I've never thought before of that gift to just go for it and experiment fearlessly. That is a really great one to have!

    Have a wonderful Mother's Day!!
    xox
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mothers Day Debra! What a beautiful photograph of your mother and I think I you can tell she is a very determined lady. I'm sure she is proud of you, your talents and accomplishments. Hope you both had a terrific Mothers Day.......Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debra!
    How nice to know some of your family's needlework history (or herstory).

    I have quilters in my family 3 generations back, but because two of my grandparents lost their parents as young children, not much was known to pass along.

    Oh, and what a beautiful photograph of your mother!

    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to express Mother's Day!

    Happy Mother's Day to you!

    -Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Mother looks like a movie star of old in that vintage photo. I've been looking at your needle art and it is so very beautiful! Ribbon embroidery is something I've been wanting to do for years. I'm just not sure how to get started.

    I'm so glad you visited me.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mothers day! I love the creative talents I have inherited from my own family, I really can't imagine what I would do without them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tribute to your mother.

    I hope that you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin