Friday, February 13, 2009

Dimensional Embroidered Dragonfly



Work continues on the 3rd crazy quilt block for my children. I have added a dragonfly to each piece. Our former home sat on a small lake and dragonflies were part of every Summer. It brings back wonderful memories.


Each dragonfly created is slightly different. This one is more simple. I did not give instructions on making the wings, because they are located in a prior post. Please check the wedding memory basket posts for the creation of the wings.


The body of the dragonfly was created with couched cording, colonial knots, and crystal beads.

The background of this section will be completed with embroidered leaves. By pinning the trimmed wings to the block, it allows me to see where the wings will be and to consider my options for the background. For me, this is an easier method in designing this section. This allows me to place the largest item in the section first. I can see how it will look. I will remove the wings and continue with the background embroidery. When that is complete, I will permanently sew the wings in place.








Until next time...






5 comments:

  1. Honestly Debra, every post about your embroidery leaves me gasping. The quality of your work, the attention to detail, the fineness of your stitches. I am awed by the delicacy of the dragonfly and its wings.

    Happy Stitching...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!

    I'm speechless, your work always leaves me breathless.

    -Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dragonfly turned out so darling! You never cease to amaze me with all your artistic skills! Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin