Thursday, February 5, 2009

Creating a Floral Wreath or Centerpiece.

I decided to use some of the artificial flowers we had in decorations from my daughter's wedding to create a centerpiece or wreath for their 1st Valentines Day.

They are easy to create and very versatile. I like using a grapevine wreath as a base. They can be completely covered and the spaces between the grapevine make a perfect place to insert the stems.

Lay the grapevine wreath flat. In this case, I want to completely cover the wreath. I am working in a clockwise fashion around the wreath. It suggests movement and gives it more interest. Start with a large green leaf. You can find bunches of just greens in any discount or craft store. Just cut them apart. Start inserting a leaf every 2 or 3 inches.















Continue all the way around, hot gluing the stems into the grapevine wreath. Use a wire cutting tool to trim the stems if they are too long to work with.



Next add another variegated green leaves in the same fashion, but placed in between the larger leaf. These greens should be slightly above the larger leaf, layering the leaves as you go around the wreath. Make sure when choosing this green is of different size and texture to add interest.

























Next is the fun part. Adding your flowers. They can be any flowers, but they should also be varied in size and type. Remember to keep using the hot glue to secure each piece.

In this one I used a large open rose, a rose bud, and a mum type of flower. Each has different size and texture. It makes the arrangement much more interesting. Three different colors also makes a wonderful contrast.

I added the mum first it was the medium size flower. Most of the time I start with the largest flower, but since I had two roses, I wanted to separate them. The mum was the unusual flower, so I began with that. I placed it halfway from the bottom of the wreath, slightly ahead of the variegated green.

















Now the larger rose is added. I staggered this flower along the bottom. Place these in the "holes". (Where the grapevine shows) Continue around the wreath

Add a few larger roses around the top. Odd numbers work best.


















Then add the rose buds, fill any holes with a little more greens and your are done with your wreath/ center piece.




















The wreath can easily be used on any table.

With a bowl to serve on a buffet:





















With a candle for a centerpiece:
















And of course a wreath:





















Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. How lovely to re-use these items that many would simply throw away. Such an elegant arrangement.

    Cheers...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It has a "magnolia" look to it. Gorgeous in any application, I especially love it on the door. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautiful!!! I hope the "newlyweds" are doing good.
    I am wishing for spring...I've had enough snow and ice, and I imagine you are tired of winter by now, too.
    Take care.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so pretty! I like having wreaths for different seasonal occasions but slack me has never been beyond the Christmas wreath! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin