Friday, January 16, 2009

Garden Fantasy


I need an escape and I hope you will indulge me today. I woke up and the temperature on our outdoor thermometer is -15 degrees. Yes I wrote NEGATIVE, meaning below zero. I went to the library and borrowed books on gardening. I needed to dream a little.





I am thinking ahead to a day that is wonderfully warm. I am planning some new sections of the garden.


Remember the urns from our daughter's wedding. They will be joining more topiary in the garden. We have a few yews that will be wonderful for this project.

Here is what they looked like as candle holders in the wedding decorations.
























The wire urns will become the center piece to two new areas of the garden that we will view from the family room and kitchen.

The walkways will be another project for the Spring.

Formal gardens are my favorite. I love the symmetry and the style. Topiary are among my favorite garden features.

Here are a few in my garden.
This is a swan made out of chicken wire, moss, and filled with potting soil.
The plant material is a sedum that blooms with small pink flowers.




These two topiary now have four sections now. They are trimmed up nice and neat each year






One of my favorite topiary that we have been working on is our fruit trees along an arbor. The fruit has been fantastic. We have had larger fruit because the tree has been trained to put the growth into the fruit instead of growing tall.










Thanks for your indulgence on my escape into the future.







For your patience I will give you a few more photos to help anyone else suffering through this Winter's Arctic temperatures.

















































Only 100 days more of Winter my husband reminds me.
Okay 99 and counting.



Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Deb, I love love love your garden.

    We are under a blanket of fog, day four now. Our arctic weather has warmed up, although it was unusual to have snow on the ground for 3 weeks. The snow was nice, no rain, and we saw the sun. The fog is better than rain, but still no sun.

    -Alice

    PS - I'm trying to keep up with my blog. And a few projects. Nothing like a quilt show for motivation. *grin*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debra, how lovely it has been to take a stroll around your beautiful garden. The urns are such a fabulous design element and will look splendid with their topiary. I visited a delightful topiary nursey near Richmond, Tasmania a couple of years back.

    I like seeing fruit trees espaliered. Such a clever idea. Your whole garden reminds me of a famous one here in the Southern Highlands. I'll have to try and find the name for you. The lady who created it eventually sold the property and moved to England where she renovated another famous garden.

    You really should think about doing this professionally but perhaps that would take the fun out of it. I imagine it won't be too much longer before your garden is featured in a magazine.

    Cheers...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra, that garden is called Kennerton Green - you would just love it.

    Cheers...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, that's cold! (I had to convert it to Celsius to get a proper idea though!).

    Your garden is worth dreaming about, ours still has a looooong way to go but we'll get there! Another place you'd love in my neck of the woods is Wychwood Nursery, it's a wonderful Utopia.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin