Sunday, December 21, 2008

Weather, Weather, Weather










Last week we had an ice storm. It left a couple of inches of ice on the power lines and trees.




Many people were without power almost a week. Our area was declared a disaster area. All trees that were down had some people saying it looked like a war zone. We are fortunate to have an automatic generator.(although we don't have the computer when it goes out) The trees looked stunning. When the sun streaked through them they were almost like glass.

Friday was another big storm and I had to run to the neighboring state to grab our son from college. We left at 5 am and actually got the last Ferry ride across Lake Champlain at 7am. The deck was slick with ice and rocking furiously. Let's just say as the waves went up over the side and froze on my windshield of my car, that the Titanic came to mind. No I did not hang over the front with the wind in my hair, like the favorite scene from the movie. The crew was wonderful though. They cancelled all later trips due to the weather. It was a long trip home driving the whole way, but we made it before Friday's storm hit here.


Today we were hit with two storms at once. Snow removal has been the order of the day today.

I did get some sewing in. A last minute additional gift for my married daughter. I created a reversible apron. It was fun to spend time in the quiet of a snow day creating the pattern and sewing. The strap around the neck has buttons and can be re- buttoned when the apron is turned to the other side.






























I used the same pink fabric for the bottom, straps, and trim.

The decorating continued too. Sorry I unable to post. I guess the next storm is due here Christmas Eve. We will have a white Christmas. (but gee whiz, I don't want to have to shovel it away from the windows to see out)





The Front Hall with the Mirror changed out from Fall.


















The bird's nest for luck in the grandfather clock.



The game room Christmas tree- scrapbook game pieces helped to create a themed tree.

















We don't take ourselves seriously around our home. We have a guest bathroom with a draped toilet and I faux painted the walls to look like a castle .

It is known as our "Throne Room". We even decorate in there.



I hope to post once more before Christmas, but If I am unable to due the weather

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Very pretty.
    I have the same nativity set! Yours is the first one I have seen other than mine.
    Have a great Christmas!
    Peggy
    http://pegslifeinthebuttonjar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder why the power lines are not put underground to avoid these problems. The conditions sound treacherous but at least you and your family are safe.

    The apron is fabulous and I like your decorated loo. Your decorations have been incredible Debra. I have enjoyed them very much.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family and best wishes for a happy New Year.

    Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas!

    What weather you're having! I'd love to experience a white Christmas at least once in my lifetime, it all looks so enchanting. Although being caught in a snow storm wouldn't be so enticing!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin