Friday, November 7, 2008

The find of the day and working with what I have

Working with what I have to create pieces for the new studio, I decided to create a message board and a work station. I used a metal door with the hardware removed for the top of the sewing table for my machines. The holes where the door knob is placed allows for the cords of the sewing machines to go through. I know you have seen this so I will not show it until I present the room. The pieces were from a rehab of my husband's office so the pieces were free.


I thought I would share the steps to the message board. Using an old basement window frame and shutters the base is created. (The shutters were actually old doors that swing in a kitchen doorway.) They were taller than the window frame so I am adding an old door front for a top.



Here are the first two steps.
Screw the pieces together using metal straps from the hardware store.



Painted all off white they give a wonder illusion of a window The shutters are placed so that the slats angle down to the back. Pictures of projects can be placed in them. (the wall stops them from falling out) and then I will add a chalk board in the window slots. The pieces have to be cut and then painted with chalkboard paint.















I will show the finished message and project board next time.







I also found the deal of the day. I needed a comfortable chair to embroider in. Something that had low arms that will not impede embroidering with a floor stand.







I found this beautiful chair that someone had done needlepoint on. They were clearing it out at a local antique store. It is really comfortable. Needs only a little work adding some trim. Low arms and I am saving some one's work. I loved it .













But the best part. It was originally $295.00, but the current price?




















It was a great find and I know I will love the long hours of embroidery during the snowy days of Winter.


Until next time....

3 comments:

  1. Your chair was such a great bargain! I think you were meant to have it, don't you? The message board is a terrific idea. I can't wait to see it finished. I also think the use of the door for a sewing table is marvellous.

    You are such a creative, talented lady!

    Cheers...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Debra, what a find!!

    I love the idea of the window and shutters, can't wait to see what projects etc. will go on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for the message board, and a great way to re-purpose the shutters and door. Will be neat to see it all "in action".

    I have a few patterns to make a "quilted" type message board, but I just haven't gotten there yet.

    What a great little chair. I can just envision you sitting in it, with a big grin, doing what you do!

    -Alice

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin