Thursday, July 10, 2008

Wedding Memory Basket - Creating Vines

The assembly line of orchid leaves is still in progress. While the leaves are being created, the vines are also being created. This process takes several hours or even over night to dry. I saw this technique years ago and have used it often. I don't remember where I found it, but it so easy that you will not forget the process once you have done it. It is so very simple and yet the effect is just beautiful.

First wrap a plastic wrap from your kitchen around a dowel. (different size dowels will give you different effects.)




Choose a color of embroidery floss to use as your vine. I have both green and brown. Do not separate the floss. Begin wrapping the floss over the plastic wrap.



Saturate the floss with fabric stiffener or liquid starch. Leave the floss to dry around the dowel.


After the floss has dried. Carefully remove the floss from the dowel.


What you will have is a wiry pile of floss, that admittedly does not look too beautiful now.
I promise it will be. It is just one more component of the Memory basket.
Are you excited to see it finished? I know I can't wait to start adding all the pieces together.




Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting technique Wagon wife! Thank you for all you share on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin